Geothermal Hangi Experience
Day-time cultural and geothermal experience: Guided village tour, Cultural Performance and a hangi meal cooked via geothermal steam vents and hot springs!
- Enjoy our traditional Hangi meal, cooked courtesy of the geothermal steam vents! This delicious feast contains chicken, beef, potato, kumara, bread stuffing, carrots, cabbage and gravy, with a hot spring cooked corn on the cob on the side. Dessert is our famous steam pudding, fruit salad, custard and cream. Tea, coffee and water is complimentary.
- Learn about local life through a one hour guided tour of the Village, or self-guide at your leisure. Guided tours run on the hour, every hour, from 9.00am to 5.00pm
- Be enchanted by the sweet sound of our Māori Cultural Performance with mihi (welcome), waiata (songs) poi display and, of course, the world-famous haka. Audience participation welcomed! Our cultural performances are on daily at 11.15am and 2pm and from 5/11 until Easter 2019 there is also a 12.30pm performance. (30 mins)
- Be amazed by our geothermal treasures: We have hot pools, mud pools, geysers in our very own backyard. Discover how locals ultilise the earth’s forces for warmth, cooking and bathing
- See traditional flax weaving performed before your eyes at our interactive area
- Freedom to explore the many walking tracks around the geothermal valley
- Learn about Māori language and the unique history of the Village